Examples of dub use needed

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 21 01:00:40 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 at 04:42:39 UTC, Guido wrote:
> Dub doesn't really work like other package managers. When I
> load a package:
>
> dub fetch scriptlike
>
> It stores it someplace and doesn't say where. You have to run
> 'dub list' to figure out where. That's is very different than
> other packages. It deserves a bigger mention in the meager
> documentation.

DUB is not a general-purpose package manager. It's a build tool
that knows how to manage your package dependencies. Assuming you
are using DUB to manage a project that uses scriptlike, and you
have scriptlike configured as a dependency, you do *not* need to
run dub fetch. When you build your project, DUB will download and
compile scriptlike for you, make sure its source modules are on
your import path, and that it is linked with your executable.

In all the years I've used dub, the only time I've cared about
where its cache is located was when I wanted to zap everything in
it in one go. By default, on Windows, it's currently the roaming
appdata directory (though that is likely to change to the local
appdata dir in a future version), which on Windows 10 is:

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\dub

On other systems it should be:

~/.dub

Again, just forget it exists. If you need to worry about
modifying cached packages or pulling the static libraries out or
whatever, use dub fetch --cache=local like I described above.