Let's make the DLang Tour an awesome landing page for D newbies

Carl Vogel via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 23 20:14:31 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 23 June 2016 at 19:24:49 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Let me start with the good news: since the DLang Tour was
> launched by André last month, we had about 3K unique visitors
> and continuously have between 100-200 visitors per day.
>
> However here are the bad news: We loose about 40% of all
> visitors directly on the front page and we loose the majority
> (>70%) on the first ten pages.
> Our DLang Tour is the starting point for newcomers. Hence if
> you think in terms of Andrei's first five minutes, we loose
> pretty badly!

One thing that might encourage having people move further along
is to set up the interactive code sections as "quizzes."  I.e.
have the visitor fill in code to give a certain output or pass a
unittest instead of just having a pre-written example. This makes
the tutorial more interactive and fun.

If this is geared towards real newcomers (not just c/c++ converts
who are looking for quick reference), then I agree with Ali that
less text per section (even if you need lots more bite-sized
sections) would be best. If you look at the interactive tutorial
on e.g. haskell.org, it moves in VERY small bits -- typing in
math, sorting a list, etc. If even Haskell is going to break
things down so simply, surely we can too. :)