Where is the D deep learning library?

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 27 08:31:07 PDT 2016

On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 15:18:09 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 14:10:15 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> With the latest popularity of Machine Learning, and all the
>> achievement we see, where is the D alternative in this area?
>>
>> C++'s offering makes lot of use of meta-programming already:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/4py875/dlib_190_clean_c11_deep_learning_api/?ref=share&ref_source=link
>>
>> Surely a touch of DbI and D's meta power could help!
>
> Building such a library is a lot of work, as in, if you're only
> working in your free time, a multi year long task. Sklearn, for
> example, took like, four years before it was in a state where
> people wanted to use it, and that's built off of many C and C++
> projects.
>
> Sure, there are a lot of C libraries that D could provide
> wrappers for, but that's not what you're talking about. A true
> D library that takes advantage of the compile time features
> would have to include thousands of new lines of D code. Plus,
> in order to be taken seriously, any new code must be as
> performant as possible, so the writer must be skilled in
> writing low level code for a lot of platforms, which takes a
> lot of time.

Well I get the manpower thing, everything we do is quite
labour-intensive. I'm just curious nobody started such an effort
(but there was with DlangScience, gamedev, web...). And with such
a hyped area, getting successful is a real possibility for
someone who would be a domain expert.

You don't need to match the manpower and stability of the
established solution to make something useful. Perhaps there
could be something distinctive enough to make it attractive?