C++17 is feature complete

luminousone via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 27 12:39:20 PDT 2016

On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 18:58:25 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 18:23:11 UTC, default0 wrote:
>> Regarding C++ I found this to be a fun read:
>> http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/ :-)
>
> A lot of it makes sense... C++ is what happens when you evolve,
> evolve, evolve and evolve a language from a starting-point that
> was not a high level language, desperately trying to hone it
> into high level shoes... Those shoes will never fit perfectly,
> obviously.
>
> It gets even more expansive when you add inn compiler
> extensions. For instance gcc/clang simd extensions is basically
> taking in parts of OpenCL into C++. In order to figure out how
> they work you have to read the OpenCL spec... I only found out
> today that I can do "simd.even" and "simd.odd" to get even and
> odd elements from a simd register in Clang... after
> implementing it manually first. ;-/

OpenCL is for micro threading, not simd. OpenCL allows you to run
thousands of instances of the same function in parallel, in
either the cpu and/or the gpu.

SIMD or single instruction multiple data, is for instruction
level parallelism,aka vector add op that adds 4 floats to 4 other
floats in a single cpu instruction.