Uniform Function Call Syntax?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 7 10:23:09 PST 2016

On Monday, 7 March 2016 at 17:49:35 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> I've mentioned this before, but I think a constrained set of
> user-defined operators using annotations/affixes on the
> existing set is a better fit for D.  It's a lesson well-learned
> from other languages (cf. OCaml; F#), and fits with D's
> generally practical bent.

Not sure what you mean by annotations/affixes and what lesson
there is to be learned? What problems have other languages had
with this?

> I mean, if you want to alias them to Lucky Charms or various
> hieroglyphs of birds disemboweling men later, I guess maybe
> that's could work? But I really don't want any language
> features predicated on the programmer having an APL keyboard.

I don't see how mixfix notation makes this "problem" larger than
the current prefix notation.

Why is the current situation that allows "ø(x,y)" less
problematic than the proposed "(x ø y)" ?