the most D-ish GUI library

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 14 19:29:50 PDT 2016

On Monday, 14 March 2016 at 18:54:31 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:

>>> I'm guessing dlangui will be best here, but GtkD is pretty
>>> good.
>>
>> What might be some 'pro' of dlangui?
>
> dlangui is written entirely in D, which makes it a little
> easier to make it more D-ish. That certainly doesn't mean it's
> definitely more D-ish, of course; it's just a guess.

It is quite "D-ish", using the power of D metaprogramming and D
syntax quite effectively in some places.

One big 'pro' of dlangui for me is that you can get a
self-contained 1-2 MB binary without dependencies on any DLLs.
Small to download, easy to run, no need for the user to install
anything.

Another one is DML, an analog of QML:
http://stuff.thedeemon.com/lj/dml.png

Third one is 100% customizability thanks to drawing everything by
dlangui, so you can change any visual aspect you need. Often
without changing code, because there is support for "themes" that
can even be switched at runtime. But having full source code in D
helps too.

One downside of dlangui is that docs are often scarce and not
enough, sometimes you need to read source code to see how it
works and shall be used.