Potential GSoC project - GC improvements

Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 14 21:27:45 PDT 2016

Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> I haven't had power for a couple of days, but it looks like the
> discussion has gone along pretty ok. After reading everything, I think
> I'm inclined to agree with Adam and the main focus of my proposal will
> be a precise GC (or as precise as we can get). I'll definitely need some
> guidance, but I'll be learning everything I can about GC's and precision
> until the start of the project.

Awesome! It's a complex topic, but you'll get broad exposure to all
corners of the D ecosystem, it's the kind of experience that you can
apply to all aspects of software engineering.

> On Monday, 14 March 2016 at 05:28:13 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Maybe ... why don't instead of trying to compete with everybody else,
>> we do our own thing, and do it very well. As long as we're just
>> another "me too" operation people will treat us like we are. Let's
>> focus on being the best D language out there. And D needs a GC, so
>> let's build the best damn garbage collector the natively-compiled
>> world has every seen.
>

> That is what I hope to work towards. Hopefully next year I can work on
> making a generational GC, or something else depending on how much time I
> could dedicate between when this GSoC is finished and the next begins.
>
> Adam, can you reach out to Craig and let him know you're willing to
> mentor this project if it get's accepted? I talked with him a few days
> ago via email and he said that someone would need to take it on but he
> wasn't sure who.

Will do. And given the nature of the work you want to do, I think
(personal opinion follows) your application will sail through the process.

The application window opened today so my first recommendation would be
to get started on your proposal as soon as possible, if you haven't
already. GSoC has a basic outline of what you'll need to include here:
http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/writing-a-proposal/

I'd like to review the proposal before you submit it.

And welcome aboard the crazy-train known as GSoC, it's a lot of work but
it'll be buckets of fun! :)

--
// Adam Wilson
// quiet.dlang.dev