Jai - interesting programming language

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 19 22:35:05 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 20 March 2016 at 01:18:43 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> "Language features like garbage collection and templated data
> streams and dynamic string classes may help the programmer
> write code faster, but they don't help the programmer write
> faster code."

I agree on gc and strings, but not having templates means you
need high level builtins or type variables/binding of some sort.
However, you can have templated modules and do well.

> "Blow argues that the increase in productivity and reduction of
> friction when memory-safe mechanisms are absent more than make
> up for the time lost in tracking down errors, especially when
> good programmers tend to produce relatively few errors"

I can agree with this if you have different levels of runtime
checks in debug builds, debug tooling, static analysis tools and
a language designed for it.

> "Abstractions like RAII, constructors and destructors,
> polymorphism, and exceptions were invented with the intention
> of solving problems that game programmers don’t have, and with
> the result of interfering with the solutions to problems that
> game programmers do have. Jai jettisons these abstractions so
> that programmers can think more about their actual problems -
> the data and their algorithms."

He is probably right on exceptions, but not on the others. In
fact OO was invented to support simulation. However languages and
compilers should do it differently on current hardware. I think
what he means is that he cannot get good speed out of the c++ OO
model.