Females in the community.

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 22 10:59:10 PDT 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 16:17:46 +0000, Karabuta wrote:
> Moreover, the socia Media representation of D sucks.

This suggests hiring someone for marketing.

> I think we need a female,

You can start by using the term "woman" rather than "female".
Deemphasizing people's humanity isn't a good way to get them into your
community.

> at least someone soft and mortal who actually understand how to
> communicate and build a community.

It's unfair to demand that a woman come in and help out with a project
based on stereotypes. If I chose an arbitrary woman to help out, she is
likely not to have the requisite skills.

You also want us to find a woman willing to do this without compensation
-- you're not talking about hiring a part time community manager.

Note that community management is much different from marketing.
Community management is about curation and internal promotion. Adam
Ruppe's _This Week in D_ is the sort of thing a community manager would
do. Marketing is about bringing people to D -- representing it at events
and on social media, that kind of thing.

> Coders suck at these things and its not helping.

See what you just did there? You created a false dichotomy between women
and coders. There are tons of women who can code. The first programmer
was a woman. The first person to write a compiler was a woman.

You also insulted everyone here in the same breath.

> This is not about gender balance crap, it about building a community.

Not pushing away half the world by slighting them and demanding that they
work for free at the same time would be a good start.

You could suggest that the D foundation hire a part-time community
manager (we're low traffic; 5-10 hours a week should do) and donate to
help accomplish that.

> Forgive me for my brutal opinion.

If you know in advance that you have to ask forgiveness for something,
you could simply not do it in the first place.