Females in the community.

QAston via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 04:31:26 PDT 2016

On Friday, 25 March 2016 at 10:38:56 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I'm not really sure why I respond to this BUT YOU ARE MISSING
> THE POINT to a level where I'm at loss of words. Which is
> really really hard to do. ;^)

[...]
> All socities are engineered at some level. That you guys think
> the Jews are relevant is appalling! You don't get the
> difference between EUGENICS and CULTURE? WTF?
>
> No wonder Donald Trump is having blaze! :-)

Well I can agree that Trump is like Hitler (and nazis, and
fascists, and eugenics, and communists, and jews) at least in one
specific aspect - references to him on a unrelated topic should
end the discussion.

> Women do not loose out by not studying Comp. Sci. IT IS THE
> OPPOSITE. Comp. Sci. loose out by not having the best qualified
> students from both genders.
>
> Women do not loose out by not participating in the D community.
> IT IS OPPOSITE. The D community loose out by having a tone that
> are off-putting to some women and even more men (due to the
> fact that there are far more male system level programmers than
> women). Yes, D has lost users thanks to this attitude. And
> people have accounted for it.
>
> So, if you want to stay small. Great. This is the way to go.

In my opinion D didn't gain as much traction because it's
mismarketed. It's marketed as a systems programming language
while it doesn't have advantages compared to the other system
languages - it's more problematic in cases where people need the
system level programming language, especially the fact that it's
heap-happy. It should be marketed as a domain programming
language because it has more advantages compared to other domain
programming languages (c#, java, go, python).

Making community more accessible is obviously desired. And I
agree with what you've just written - accessible for both men and
women. So it's not a gender issue. Policies applied need to be
neutral to not create resentment.