Females in the community.

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 12:40:46 PDT 2016

On 25.03.2016 15:56, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 03/17/2016 01:02 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
[...]
> "Woman" excludes non-adults. Non-adult, like I was when I started with
> code.

Being most inclusive is clearly not the goal here. Otherwise Karabuta
wouldn't have specified the sex. Did he choose "a female" to include
children when talking about "someone soft and mortal who actually
understand how to communicate and build a community"? I doubt it.

> That's the problem with PC nitpicking, it never ends.

I agree that picking on every word someone says isn't good. And it's
worse when bad intent is assumed behind every little odd choice of
words. I don't mean to do that.

Maybe this use of "female" is benign, but it rubs me wrong way. I don't
think I've been too hard on Karabuta by telling him that.

>> "A female" sounds like you're
>> talking about an animal.
>
> Not to a native english speaker.

I call bullshit on that. I don't have any strong evidence, and I'm not
even a native English speaker myself, but I simply don't buy it.

Here's the first Google hit I got for "animal documentary male female":

https://youtu.be/kY7SlH3rzhQ?t=430

Didn't take long to find a spot where they talk about "the males" and
"the females", because they always do in animal documentaries.

Note how the speaker switches from "male"/"female" for kangaroos to
"man"/"woman" for humans. That's what I'm talking about.