Categorization of warnings

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 28 10:39:02 PDT 2016

On 3/28/16 1:11 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 28 March 2016 at 17:05:46 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Warnings can be an important part of the deprecation process. The next
>> release of the compiler will illustrate that.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> But the import issues weren't solved with warnings, they went strait to
> deprecation.

No, there is a warning for using a selective import and using a fully
qualified name from that module.

> And I'd argue that warnings are an unnecessary step in the deprecation
> process. IMO the deprecation -> undocumented -> removed cycle for Phobos
> works well. Adding another step to it needlessly delays the inevitable
> (how long has array.sort been a warning?), and I don't see why the same
> process won't work for DMD.

The deprecation stage is the warning stage. Note that the two other
compilers take some time to catch up. If you can't disable the new
behavior somehow, then you have projects that will compile only for dmd,
or only for the other compilers. There needs to be some kind of
transition period where you can write code that is compatible with all
in some way or another.

-Steve