How are you enjoying DConf? And where to go next?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 8 16:46:16 PDT 2016

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 21:56:16 Seb via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 May 2016 at 19:39:11 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > On 5/8/16 6:47 PM, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> >> As for location: I attended CodeConf Hong Kong last November,
> >> hosted at
> >> Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. It was a great
> >> venue and
> >> they're very open to hosting similar events! Show Asia some
> >> love! I'll
> >> chase down the responsible people.
> >
> > Great idea, please do. Thanks! -- Andrei
>
> Observing this thread for a while it seems that everyone wants
> the future dconf close to  his/her home country/state which is
> pretty understandable.
>
> So I just throw a solution in here that could make more people
> happy - how about a Dconf US and a Dconf Europe? Seems like the D
> community is getting big enough.
> They could be six-month separated.

The main downside to this (aside from the additional effort and money
required) is that what you'll end up with is that many of the folks who
might otherwise go to both will then only end up going to one.  So, some of
the collaboritve aspects of the conference will suffer, because D devs who
would have otherwise had a yearly meetup then don't see each other. I also
don't know if it makes sense to talk about splitting dconf in two when we
don't necessarily have enough folks to have a multi-track conference. But I
expect that we'll eventually end up with multiple D conferences a year,
whether they're all "dconf" or not.

- Jonathan M Davis