The Case Against Autodecode

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 12 17:47:04 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 at 20:15:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Here are some that are not matters of opinion.

If you're serious about removing auto-decoding, which I think you
and others have shown has merits, you have to the THE SIMPLEST
migration path ever, or you will kill D. I'm talking a simple
press of a button.

I'm not exaggerating here. Python, a language which was much more
popular than D at the time, came out with two versions in 2008:
Python 2.7 which had numerous unicode problems, and Python 3.0
which fixed those problems. Almost eight years later, and Python
2 is STILL the more popular version despite Py3 having five major
point releases since and Python 2 only getting security patches.
Think the tango vs phobos problem, only a little worse.

D is much less popular now than was Python at the time, and
Python 2 problems were more straight forward than the
auto-decoding problem.  You'll need a very clear migration path,
years long deprecations, and automatic tools in order to make the
transition work, or else D's usage will be permanently damaged.