[OT] Re: Github names & avatars

poliklosio via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 16 14:45:45 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 14 May 2016 at 19:19:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Your name is your brand.
>
> Probably the most obvious example of this is Trump. Long before
> he got into politics, he understood his name was his brand, and
> never lost an opportunity promote his brand (and profit off of
> it).
>
> In fact, I stopped using pseudonyms online for my professional
> work because I watched "The Apprentice" and realized that he
> had the right idea.
>
> Also, think of the top programmers in the business. They all do
> things online under their own names.

If I would guess, I would say that using your own name instead of
a fake one is OK. However, I would be cautious.

Please, mind the survivor bias! Would someone post here if he
lost his engineering career because of a comment on the internet?
Of course not!

How many of those unlucky guys are there per one successful one?
10, 1, 0.01, 0.000001? You can't know until you actually do hard
work collecting actual statistical data.

For everything anyone writes there are pretty much as many
interpretations as the readers.
And vague claims about touchy subjects are million times worse.
If someone has a bad day, this really can turn out badly. Culture
differences make it even worse. What is a technical disagreement
in one country can be racism in another. Given sufficiently many
words, those things can happen. A joke can be easily
misunderstood as something completely different than intended.
Also, social media sometimes spreads the news about people's
textual mistakes. Just google "careers destroyed by social media".
Also, you assume that you are going to be judged by technical
merit alone, which is fair enough if you are white male with good
reputation, living in a country known for its love for freedom of
speech. It may be very different if you are a poor immigrant girl
in a third world country trying to convince a prospective
employer to give you the first chance at trying to do some
programming.

Another bias: Everyone always wants to think they are always
victims and never the perpetrators, but still somehow
perpetrators exist. After all, I would never say anything hurtful
to anyone ever, right? And those people who accidentally hit
pedestrians with cars are always pure evil, and I could never be
one of them, right? Noone could ever be one of those until he is.
:)

There's a reason why stuff like correspondence is traditionally
private.