Supporting musl libc

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 02:32:13 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 at 09:26:33 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 at 08:51:01 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I'm not sure how to best handle different C standard libraries
>> when it comes to choosing which one to use. Is it best to
>> choose that when building the compiler or when building
>> druntime? Or can it be a runtime option?
>
> Shouldn't be runtime detected, but a linktime/compile option.

Jacob, when you said "runtime option," you meant when running the
compiler, right?  That's how I took it: the C library is chosen
either when building the compiler or running the compiler.  On
Windows, it's when running the compiler.

> We introduced CRuntime_Glibc specifically to separate libc from
> kernel differences, e.g. to support android.
> Have a look at how -mscoff32 and Android are implememted in dmd.

Android is not in dmd yet, as I mentioned, you can look at my
small PR though:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/3643

> At best defining CRuntime_Glibc should move into dmd.conf,
> where you could also select a different phobos library to link.

Man, I'm not looking forward to that debate, though I'm not sure
I care that much about its outcome myself. ;)