Discuss vulkan erupted, the other auto-generated vulkan binding

Manuel König via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 18 13:28:09 PDT 2016

Am Wed, 18 May 2016 18:57:48 +0000
schrieb ParticlePeter <ParticlePeter at gmx.de>:

> On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 at 15:09:50 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 at 13:26:14 UTC, Manuel König wrote:
> >
> >> I think I will use glfw3 later. I don't know if the original
> >> problem of using multiple configurations (xcb, xlib, glfw3,
> >> ...) is possible with only dub's internal logic. I tried
> >> putting this in my "vulkantest" packages' dub.json
> >>
> >> "subConfigurations":
> >> {
> >> 	"erupted": "with-derelict-loader",
> >> 	"erupted": "normal"
> >> }
> >>
> >> just for testing, and dub told me
> >>
> >> Could not resolve configuration for package vulkantest
> >>
> >> So I thinnk multiple subconfigurations are not supported.
> >
> > The way to handle this is to make multiple configurations of
> > vulkantest, one for each of the configurations of erupted you
> > want to support. Then, when you build vulkantest, you specify
> > the configuration you want to build on the command line (unless
> > you're building the default).
>
> This is a good point, the custom project platform configuration
> would then be forwarded to erupted. Only drawback would be that
> "with-derelict-loader" config is not available in combination
> with a platform config, but in the later case you would want to
> grab vkGetInstanceProcAddr anyway in platform specific means.
>
> Manuel, I could just skim over xcb-d. As far as I can see it has
> the module xcb.xcb. Is this module sufficient to be imported in
> erupted.types.d? In this case I would not have to touch the
> erupt.py generator but instead just fix the erupted.dub file. As
> you can test it, how about a pull request?

@ Peter: Yes, importing xcb.xcb is all you need, no patches necessary.
But I could patch erupteD's dub.json for an xcb configuration, and
maybe put in the readme how to use a configuration, but probably not
until sunday.

@Mike: Having multiple subconfigurations (xcb, xlib, glfw3, ...) to pick
for the user is the solution Peter was going for, as I understood him.
The problem is when a user wants to support both xcb and xlib, or any
mix of them. But this is probably just a pathetic use case not relevant
in practice, I just stumbled over the question if that is possible when
I wanted to add proper xcb, xlib, etc. support to erupteD.