Split general into multiple threads

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 26 11:38:30 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 17:45:59 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On 05/26/2016 07:07 PM, Seb wrote:
>> Proposed categories:
>>
>> - DMD
>> - DRuntime
>> - Phobos
>
> Already there, but not used a lot. Druntime and Phobos are just
> being spammed by GitHub.
>
> I suggest combining the three into one Development group that
> also covers dlang.org, official tools, etc. Switch the GitHub
> thing off, and tell people to use it instead of General for
> everything that touches on code in the dlang repositories.

I proposed two weeks ago to turn off the bot, but it seems some
people like it.
Github is already high-traffic, so I expect if we have a mailing
list it to be similar, so the seperation into groups make sense.

> Enforcing the use of that group (or the three that are there
> already) would reduce the traffic in General by a good amount.

That's exactly the idea!

>> - Language design (or Idea pool)
>
> Sure.
>
>> - D Foundation + resources
>
> Does the foundation really need its own channel, yet? I don't
> see many threads about it.

Let's hope it will, but you are right not for the moment :/

> What does "resources" mean?

What you put under Development (dlang.org, downloads, etc.)

> I think this can stay in General/Other for now.
>
>> - Events
>
> What would be posted there? Announcements of events should go
> in Announce. I think this can stay in General/Other, too.

Convinced.

>> - Other (formerly known as General)

So incorporating your feedback it would be:

- DMD
- DRuntime
- Phobos
- Official tools and resources (dlang.org, download, ...)
- Language design (or Idea pool)
- Other (formerly known as General)

or turning off the bot instead for the first three categories
(preferred solution).