Split general into multiple threads

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 29 04:35:12 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 29 May 2016 at 11:28:05 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On 05/26/2016 08:07 PM, Seb wrote:
>> I think we all agree that general is having to much traffic
>> and according to CyberShadow [1] this again is just an
>> approval issue, however I expect this a bit controversial, so
>> please no OT! Only other category proposals.
>>
>> Proposed categories:
>>
>> - DMD
>> - DRuntime
>> - Phobos
>> - Language design (or Idea pool)
>> - D Foundation + resources
>> - Events
>> - Other (formerly known as General)
>>
>> I want to stress that whatever categories we pick, we have to
>> adapt them anyways if we realize that something is noisy again
>> or too silent.
>>
>> https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues/66
>
> Without moderators to move mismatching topic between groups any
> more fine grained separation will do more harm than good. NG in
> its current form is simply not a good tool for focused
> technical discussion and won't be. "Get rid of OT" idea sounds
> like mockery to anyone who doesn't spend his entire lifetime
> posting here because 90+% of NG posts are absolutely irrelevant.

To avoid confusion the proposal is to reduce the number of forums
from 14 (currently) to 7. So we are halfing the number and are
_not_ introducing more fine grained separation. Instead the idea
was rearange the forums to sth. like this:

New users:
- Learn / Help
Community:
- General
- Annouce (Official annoucements)
- Broadcast
Development:
- Core (Language and standard library development)
- GDC
- Third-party (Dub universe)