[OT] web/desktop dying

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 9 08:00:45 PST 2016

On 11/05/2016 02:00 AM, Joakim wrote:

> Nothing is ever "completely replaced"- somebody somewhere is still using
> a mainframe or a UNIX workstation- but yes, PCs will basically
> disappear, just as you never see those old computers anymore.  Android
> 7.0 has a full multi-window mode, just dock your smartphone with a
> monitor and keyboard/mouse and start working:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/this-is-android-ns-freeform-window-mode/

I'd hardly call that a "full" multi-window mode.

I've been (begrudgingly) using android on a daily basis for years now,
and honestly, OS support for freeform windows is the least of what
Android needs to be worthwhile as a PC replacement. Hell, even on the
desktop, I usually have everything maximized anyway. Even with freeform
windows, I'd sooner use *Win8*, of all things, on the desktop than
fucking android.

There are four main areas that are currently making Android and absolute
shit as a desktop replacement: The OS itself, the look&feel style
guidelines, the entire 3rd party ecosystem, and the form factor. Ie,
basically everything.

And the idea that plugging in a mouse, keyboard and monitor fixes the
form factor issues is ludicrous, because seriously, compare that to them
already just *being* there as with a laptop (yea, laptop keyboards and
trackpads suck, but not remotely as badly as what's built-in on a
smartphone/tablet). Or compared to, you know, not having to deal with a
plugging in a hub, connecting all that shit, clumsily propping the
stupid little thing up, OR bluetooth for that matter, because, let's be
honest, fucking NOBODY other than us power users can figure out that
obtuse "pairing" shit.

But it probably will take over anyway, because, let's face it, when the
fuck has being complete and utter fucking shit ever stopped a computing
tech from becoming a runaway success?: Windows, C++, Java2,
Web-as-a-platform, JS/Ajax/Toolkit-overload, walled-garden services,
zero-privacy private surveillance, non-tactile "touch"-screens,
intrusive forced-update systems, removing-features-as-a-feature,
widescreens for general computing purposes, iOS/Android "phones", etc.
People are goddamned morons, and you know what? These motherfuckers
DESERVE to have their privacy stolen, waste all their time futzing
around with fucking broken software & devices, lose their data, and die
while text-driving (or while letting GPS/Google drive their car, which
mark my words, will be the next thing). I'd hope the whole fucking world
burns, but it looks like I don't *need* to hope for that, it's pretty
much guaranteed at this point anyway.