Best Lua integration?

Kim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 16 22:33:06 PST 2016

On Thursday, 17 November 2016 at 04:54:02 UTC, Soulsbane wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 November 2016 at 03:46:26 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
>> On 17/11/2016 11:53 AM, Kim wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> what is the best Lua integration available?
>>>
>>> I have found these two so far:
>>> * https://github.com/JakobOvrum/LuaD (only Lua 5.1)
>>> * https://github.com/DerelictOrg/DerelictLua (Lua 5.3)
>>>
>>> The former seems better/more active. Are there other similar
>>> projects
>>> that I am missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> LuaD is a lot more then just a binding. It does have static
>> bindings to Lua. Where as DerelictLua has dynamic bindings
>> (linking is done at runtime to shared libraries).
>
> Not to mention much more high level(LuaD).

Yes I see the higher level as a weakness. It may save you time to
integrate in D, but tries to hide complexity. Hiding complexity
can hurt in other ways.

I think I will go for the more C-like binding of DerelictLua; I
am fine for the shared libraries binding as I don't need static
bindings, but I guess that could be added without too much effort?