Why are homepage examples too complicated?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 19 02:32:29 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at 20:51:24 UTC, Karabuta wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at 10:04:35 UTC, Benjiro wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at 09:26:56 UTC, Chris wrote:
>
>> The issue is, that in order to understand the example, you are
>> already required to have a knowledge of the language.
>>
>> I can only use myself as a example. Only started to really use
>> D a few days ago because i have a specific project. I
>> instantly look for the methods that interest me, totally
>> bypassing half the manual. The ! looked like a operator and
>> not a template.
>>
>> To show you how much a nice example flow matters: a month or 3
>> ago ( because of this future project ) i started to look at
>> several languages: Go, Nim, Haxe, etc...
>>
>> Notice something missing? Yes... i knew about D but totally
>> skipped it for two reasons. Its the same reasons as to why
>> Rust got skipped. I did not like the syntax example's. And in
>> case of D, the whole community issue with D1 vs D2 in several
>> reddit topics that still gets propagated.
>>

> They will not understand. Those are the UX stuff you learn when
> you are a web designer/developer.

How do you know "they" will not understand? Maybe they do.

> It is easy to not understand the impact when your already know
> D. Test it on a new user and see. Moreover, unless D is not
> meant to be a first programming language to learn, then we are
> far from gaining new adopters with the current information. The
> tour examples are clearly written by people who have
> less/limited/lacking teaching skills.

At the beginning, D was not meant to be a "first language", but
this has changed over time. In fact, almost all new modern
languages that emerge now have features that D has, like
templates, !boo ;), so beginners will have to learn them
regardless of what new language they pick. Thus, D is no longer
"worse" or "more complicated".

> How do you win a visitor's interest in 2-5 seconds?

Put a scantily dressed lady on your page ;)

Seriously, there will always be those who will prefer shiny
buttons and fancy talk to facts or usability.