State of issues.dlang.org

Jacob via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 29 10:12:54 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 at 12:48:48 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> I don't think its state is much worse than that of a typical
> bugtracker for projects of this scale.

What projects are those? For ones of similar size at the very
least all issues get tagged. There are a bunch of issues that
have nothing done with them.

>> Anyways for the site itself, it seems to be lacking features.
>
> It is a standard Bugzilla instance. We do not develop the
> software.

That doesn't make the point any less valid. If something is broke
you fix it or replace it.

>> When viewing issues as a list there isn't that much
>> information about the issue, other than the summary.
>
> You can create custom views for whatever task you have at hand.

Didn't know that, the setting was buried at the bottom of the
page past the hundreds of errors.

>> The "Resolution", only ever seen it as "---", maybe it means
>> something for closed issues but I haven't seen any closed
>> issues.
>
> If something is unclear, please refer to the Bugzilla manual.

Not unclear so much as the feature is there and is never used.

>> If it is a bit bigger of an enhancement and needs a DIP to add
>> the functionality.
>
> Feature requests that require a DIP do not belong on Buzilla.

Who is to determine that? I see a lot of Buzilla reports that are
large enhancements that should need a DIP. But they stay as open
issues flagged enchancement. That's the point. There's no, or at
least no one does say, this needs a DIP, closes the issue to
remove it from sight.

>> TLDR; The issue system in place right now needs to be removed
>> and a better system with oversight put in place.
>
> Err, no. Just because you haven't seen a Bugzilla instance
> elsewhere doesn't mean we should replace it. The UI is a bit
> 90's, but otherwise it has served us well.

Umm, who said I haven't seen it elsewhere? If a system is
un-maintainable that doesn't mean it's ok and should just be
overlooked.