Linus' idea of "good taste" code

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 29 22:30:04 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 29 October 2016 at 21:46:37 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Any thoughts on how much work is involved to port the runtime?
> And what other changes might be involved? The chap that used
> the C backend for LLVM wrote a little mini runtime but I guess
> didn't have to worry about the version blocks in the compiler
> front end as much.   (don't recall what architecture he
> pretended to be compiling to).
>
> Glibc has obviously already been ported to run in browser by
> emscripten.

I have actually meant something quite different - implementing
new backend for DMD which emits wasm directly (possibly by
embedding binaryen). That is more work than simply using LLVM
stack as-is but would result in unique marketing advantage -
existing pipeline of C -> Emscripten -> asm.js -> asm2wasm is
rather annoying. And native wasm backend for LLVM is in
development for quite a while now with no clear ETA.

At the same time intended wasm spec
(https://github.com/WebAssembly/design) is much more simple than
machine code for something like x86_64. If Walter gets
interested, that may be a feasible path :)