The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 10 10:48:44 PDT 2017

On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 16:12:35 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> [...]
> Everyone should follow GDC's ABI, rather than trying to mimic
> DMD calling convention. ;-)

GDC is working very well, and using it would actually be the
natural choice for us as GCC is the default compiler.
However, there are a few problems with that:
  1) GDC doesn't compile a large amount of D code currently out
there due to having an outdated standard library and runtime.
While we would like to use it, it doesn't help if it just can't
compile the things.

  2) GDC isn't part of the official GCC. This has quite wide
reaching implications, most importantly other distros not
offering it - in Fedora / Red Hat, this is the reason why GDC
isn't available. This means fewer people test with GDC and we're
basically compiling upstream projects with a compiler they never
ever tested, potentially creating new issues that we can't easily
forward upstream. This is less of an issue with LDC as LDC is
more widely available in other distributions.