[OT] Re: The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 12:00:19 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 18:14:40 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 12:03:27 UTC, Matthias Klumpp
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 22:15:53 UTC, David Nadlinger
>> wrote:
>>> So do we need to put a reminder about the ABI being unstable
>>> into set of every release notes to make sure we won't get
>>> angry bug reports once users actually build their own D code
>>> against your packages? ;)
>>
>> Nah, there are several options here, one would simply be to
>> tell people not to use the distro packages with anything but
>> the default D compiler used in the respective Debian release.
>
> So as long as one sticks to packages in the official apt repos,
> all the libraries are guaranteed to be built with the
> distributed compiler as well?

Yes. Unfortunately there will be three of them which aren't
compatible with each other, so we will kind of have to settle
with one as default.

> When you mentioned that you'd read the release notes regarding
> the ABI change, I got the impression that you had to manually
> rebuild the world for that to happen – hence my tongue-in-cheek
> remark about reminding you to do this in the release notes.

Well, it's a matter of telling the build admins or making a
proper transition package (doesn't exit yet for D), but yeah,
technically we'd need to rebuild all D stuff on ABI changes.