Compare boost::hana to D

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 19 10:14:27 PDT 2017

On 04/19/2017 03:58 AM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

 > Hope you're well.

I'm doing very well. Hoping to see you at DConf. :)

Here's another reminder to all: The registration deadline is this Sunday!

 > On the other hand I was reading some object oriented C++ code of 20k
 > lines split between 200 files.  I just about read C++ so ceteris non
 > paribus.  But the fragmentation and artificial abstraction makes it much
 > harder to see what's going on and it's scarier to change it.

That's a good point that comes up regularly. I wonder why C++ code seems
to use OOP more than e.g. D does? Is it the reverberation of that old
"everything is an object" style? Otherwise, it's quite possible to do
compile-time polymorphism in C++ as well.

 > However dub isn't worse than cmake

OT: I've used CMake in an unrelated project. I had failed to learn how
to write a custom rule in it. It was super easy to make comman targets
like an executable or library, but not custom stuff that we had needed.
Anyway... There are smarter people who can use it. :)

 > Some concrete examples that are true and essentially real might be a
 > nice counterpart to the "quicksort in two lines" language evangelism
 > that Andrei rightly complains about.

OT: Is there something new in Haskell that makes Sieve of Eratosthenes
easier than the following entertaining paper shows?

   https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~oneill/papers/Sieve-JFP.pdf

 > Maybe you have some from Weka.

Yes, Weka is a great user of D. They take full advantage of the
compile-time features of D for profit. :)

OT: Unfortunately, I'm not with Weka anymore. :/ Now I know that it
takes way more focus to work through the 10 hour and the 1 day
differences. Their weekends are Friday and Saturday, so by the time I
started my Thursday morning, Israel was already off to their weekends.

 > D is a pretty good language for getting stuff done quickly in
 > for a prototype that can be cleaned up quickly. That's a point
 > Andy Smith made, and that Liran made in his talk also.

Joakim is right when saying "it is hard to market without people either
trying the language or user testimonials". I'm dealing with the same
issue at my current job: Despite my attempts, there may be separate
non-D languages for prototyping and actual implementation.

Ali