Python : Pythonista / Ruby: Rubyist : / D : ?

Vasudev Ram via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 22 09:51:19 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 04:20:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, April 21, 2017 17:20:14 Vasudev Ram via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I hope the question is self-evident from the message subject.
>> If not, it means: what are D developers generally called (to
>> indicate that they develop in D)? The question occurred to me
>> somehow while browsing some D posts on the forums just now.
>>
>> DLanger? DLangist? D'er? Doer? :)
>>
>> I tend to favor DLanger, FWIW.
>>
>> Interested to know, just for fun ...
>>
>> I do realize that there may not be commonly known or accepted
>> terms like this for all languages. For example, I don't know
>> if there is such a term for a C or C++ developer. Might make
>> for an interesting thread.
>
> I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this in any
> language. Normally, you'd just say that someone is a D
> programmer or a C++ programmer or a Java Programmer, etc. But
> then again, I come from a C++ background, not a scripting
> language background, and the folks who primarily use scripting
> languages often tend to look at things differently.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I gave the examples of the terms Pythonista and Rubyist right in
the message subject. You personally might not have heard of them
or similar ones, as you say. But others have. Those terms are
used somewhat widely [1] - "Pythonista" is often by Python
programmers to refer to themselves (sometimes Pythoneer is used),
and "Rubyist" is often used by Ruby programmers to refer to
themselves (individually or collectively, as in, "I'm a
Pythonista" (sometimes seen on blogs' About pages or Twitter or
LinkedIn bios) or "(us/as) Pythonistas" and other variations of
the same. Ditto for Rubyists. Another example I've seen used is
Lisper (and Lisp is both a compiled and interpreted language - so
it's not like such a term is restricted only to scripting or
interpreted languages).

[1] Using the word "widely" anecdotally, of course - obviously
I've not done a survey on something as trivial as this - it's
just that I've been in the field for quite a while, working,
interacting with people, reading forums, etc. - and have noticed
it used quite often. And I've used Ruby for a few years and
Python for many years now, both of them in commercial projects,
Python in commercial training that I give, as well as for my own
personal projects (mainly Python only).

Secondly, using those terms does not mean they are formal
designations of any kind. They are just casual terms that someone
must have initially made up and that others caught on to and
started using, to describe themselves and their community - i.e.
Python or Ruby _users_, not all of whom are necessarily users of
those languages _alone. Plenty of Python and Ruby developers use
other languages too, including compiled / statically typed ones,
like C, C++, Java, etc. I am one of them, in fact - I've used
both C (and on DOS, Windows and Unix, a lot) and Pascal (Turbo
Pascal a lot, Delphi some) earlier, Java some too. (See my other
reply upcoming after this one - to Russel Winder). In general,
those terms are not meant to be either pejorative or the reverse
of pejorative, although some people may of course use the terms
disparagingly, self-glorifyingly or whatever.

>But then again, I come from a C++ background, not a scripting
> language background, and the folks who primarily use scripting
> languages often tend to look at things differently.

Yes, if a person comes from only (either) one of those
backgrounds - then they are more likely to look at things
differently. But there are lots of people who have backgrounds in
both (scripting/interpreted and compiled), and some have a lot of
background in both, too.