Python : Pythonista / Ruby: Rubyist : / D : ?

Vasudev Ram via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 22 10:37:13 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 08:33:04 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 21:20 -0700, Jonathan M Davis via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
> […]
>> I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this in any
>> language.
>> Normally, you'd just say that someone is a D programmer or a
>> C++
>> programmer
>> or a Java Programmer, etc. But then again, I come from a C++
>> background, not
>> a scripting language background, and the folks who primarily
>> use
>> scripting
>> languages often tend to look at things differently.
>>

> I guess most people using scripting languages are just Bashing
> things together.
>
> ;-)

Awk! What you sed? ;)

>just Bashing things together

Nice joke, but not necessarily true in reality. There could be
people writing good solid code in scripting languages and the
reverse in compiled ones too - in fact I've seen code of some
very poor (in quality and knowledge) C developers, who know very
little of the ins and outs of the language (pointers and memory
management in particular, but other areas too). That's one of the
reasons why we have so many buffer overflows and exploits, though
of course, I acknowledge, it's not easy to write perfect C code
that does not have those issues. I actually worked years ago, for
a while, on a legacy banking software product written in C - in
maintenance mode - after almost all the original developer team
had left the company. Saw some really bad code. Variables like
zzy123 were the least of it ... Not a reflection on the language
at all, only on those developers.