{OT} Youtube Video: newCTFE: Starting to write the x86 JIT

Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 24 05:59:55 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 at 12:56:11 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I just begun work on the x86 jit backend.
>
> Because right now I am at a stage where further design
> decisions need to be made and those decisions need to be
> informed by how a _fast_ jit-compatible x86-codegen is
> structured.
>
> Since I do believe that this is an interesting topic;
> I will give you the over-the-shoulder perspective on this.
>
> At the time of posting the video is still uploading, but you
> should be able to see it soon.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKorjPAvhQY
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

Have you considered using the LLVM jit compiler for CTFE? We
already have an LLVM front end. This would mean that CTFE would
depend on LLVM, which is a large dependency, but it would create
very fast, optimized code for CTFE on any platform.

Keep in mind that I'm not as familiar with the technical details
of CTFE so you may see alot of negative ramifications that I'm
not aware of. I just want to make sure it's being considered and
what yours and others thoughts were.