{OT} Youtube Video: newCTFE: Starting to write the x86 JIT

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 25 10:32:34 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 at 16:16:43 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> It's already the case. Intel and AMD (especially in Ryzen)
> strongly discourage the use of prefetch instructions since at
> least Core2 and Athlon64. The icache cost rarely pays off and
> very often breaks the auto-prefetcher algorithms by spoiling
> memory bandwidth.

I think it just has to be done on a case-by-case basis. But if
one doesn't target a specific set of CPUs and a specific
predictable access pattern (like visiting every 4th cacheline)
then one probably shouldn't do it.

There are also so many different types to choose from:
prefetch-for-write, prefetch-for-one-time-use,
prefetch-to-cache-level2, etc... Hard to get that right for a
small-scale JIT without knowledge of the the algorithm or the
dataset.