threads, fibers and GPU kernels

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 7 01:57:35 PDT 2017

On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 07:38:34 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> Modern GPU have thousands of GPU kernels, it's far from CPU
> kernels, but it's interesting for me is there any chance that
> in future they be used in same maner as CPU kernels?

Do you mean threads? Not really, they are more like SIMD lanes
that together are more analogous to a CPU thread. See John
Colvin's 2015/2016 DConf talks.

> If yes is there any reasons of exit for fibers? Or it would be
> easier to map one thread to one kernel? On system with 1k
> kernels/cores I do not see any reason for fibers for exiten.

Fibres are for I/O bound problems related to the overheads of
task switching. They offer no benefits (unless you want stateful
generators) for compute bound problems.