Jetbrains announce support for rust plugin, show them we want one too!

Ryion via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 8 08:40:08 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 19:15:59 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> Your claim to have limited D skills doesn't prevent you from
> writing a blog post detailing the things that are missing for
> Windows development and showing how other languages deal with
> them. A lot of work with tooling doesn't require D skills for
> that matter (for instance, Eclipse plugins are not written in D
> AFAIK). You can ask the current tool developers how to help,
> report bugs, make suggestions, fix small bugs,.... The least
> effective thing to do is to post on the forum that the tools
> aren't good enough.

I applaud the people who contribute but reading posts here that
pushing people ( on a lot of topics ) to contribute does not
exactly motivate. It shows a rather desperation that we do not
see in other languages forums.

Having people write plugins is one thing. Having them supporting
those plugins for years to come, that is another.

Its not the actual the written the plugins that is a issue. There
are plenty of D plugins out there. But people get discourages,
lack of time, run into issues they can not figure out, new D
version, new IDE changes... whatever changes that break the
plugins.

There are plenty of plugins for almost every editor/ide but few
are well supported because it ends up being one man development
teams. So what is the point in pushing people: write plugins, put
time into them, ... when even the people know that with there day
job, family life they can not keep supporting / expanding the
plugins.

It feels like this approach is just wrong... When people are
motivated, they so so from themselves and do not need the
"gentle" pushing on a forum to do so.