Jetbrains announce support for rust plugin, show them we want one too!

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 9 03:10:45 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 at 07:59:46 UTC, Ryion wrote:
> Maybe i made myself not very clear. Sorry about that.
>
> I mention this as reading topics here shows the same behavior.
> People complain. Specific people here keep responding how the
> complainer needs to do it themselves or pay for it. Tracing the
> people that "complained" there post history, shows that most of
> them simply do not post anymore, after being told to do it
> themselves.
>
> I do not want to wast people there time, i only responded to
> this here because its obvious pattern. I agree that this seems
> to be a very small community and it is hard to get things done
> in a small community. But it is counter productive to
> constantly tell people that there is no solution, they need to
> do it or pay for it. Its like hearing a broken record that
> keeps skipping to the same beat.

The same question will get the same answer unless the facts
change, I'm sorry if you feel that this sounds like a broken
record.

> People who have the time and willingness to do so, WILL do it
> themselves without being told on a forum. All the rest is
> simply negative PR for the people who lurk ( not post ) and
> read the comments.

The choices on our side when responding to people complaining
about / asking for missing things are AFAICT
a) Not respond to people asking/complaining about these things
b) Inform them about the situation and explain their options
I believe b) to be the sane choice here.

> The 'we' refers to me and my colleague. And 'we' do mean that
> the amount of posting here that ask people to do the work is
> way more then on other language forums. We understand the
> reasoning but its about first impressions. And when anybody
> reads comments stating the above too many times, it simply
> feels like the community is too small to support the language.
> Causation and effect.

The community is large enough to support the language, which you
can see plainly when you inspect D frontend and compiler(s)
steady development, as well as the clearance rate of issues.
It's just not large enough to support all kinds of "do this for
me" third party feature requests.

> The more pushing does not result in more people actually
> contributing. It can have the reverse effect of actually
> pushing people away.

Again with this false premise of "pushing"; stating facts is not
pushing.
Examples of pushing: "please do this (for me/us)", "you should do
this (for me/us)", etc.
If people think they are being pushed away by a rational text,
then that is indeed sad, but that is their choice.

> Its beating a dead horse because i expect that months from now,
> the same pattern will still be here. [...]

They'll get a reply matching the situation at that future time, I
expect.