Jetbrains announce support for rust plugin, show them we want one too!

Vadim Lopatin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 11 05:11:13 PDT 2017

On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 11:34:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 at 07:59:46 UTC, Ryion wrote:
>> this here because its obvious pattern. I agree that this seems
>> to be a very small community and it is hard to get things done
>> in a small community. But it is counter productive to
>> constantly tell people that there is no solution, they need to
>> do it or pay for it. Its like hearing a broken record that
>> keeps skipping to the same beat.
>
> It's a sign of a lack of strategy.
>
> Other languages such as Dart had an IDE strategy from the
> start. Dart even provided a full Eclipse based IDE until
> JetBrains included support (then the Dart team dropped their
> own IDE).
>
> Without a central organized IDE project it will be hard to
> reach maturity for any such effort (unless the language is
> popular to sustain the development of a commercial IDE).

I think having IDE for some language written in the same language
may show power and usability of this language.

E.g. DlangIDE is written in D, uses cross-platform GUI library
DlangUI which is written in D, and is cross-platform. May work
even as console app.

For D programmers, it's easy to contribute something to IDE
written in D than to some Java or C++/C# project.

Active contributing to DlangIDE can make it really useful tool.
So far, it's less usable than Visual-D or Mono-D. So far, I
myself use Visual-D to develop D projects (including DlangIDE),
but I hope there will be a point when it would be possible to
switch to DlangIDE.

I'm thinking about killer feature - adding Delphi like UI
designer for writing DlangUI/DML apps. Having IDE similar to
Delphi or Lazarus would be great advantage of D.