Editor recommendations for new users.

Ryion via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 27 06:15:41 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 10:05:29 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> So I will be doing a workshop on programming for the biology
> department at my university and I was wondering what would best
> suit the users.
>
> The following are a must:
>     support windows & mac ( the more consistent between the two
> the better)
>     free
>     no large install footprint, preferably simple install
> procedure (running on laptops)
>     syntax highlighting
>     straightforward to use
>
> anything else is a bonus.
>
> Whats your experience with what you use?

Visual Studio Code seems to be what you need.

https://code.visualstudio.com/

Easy to install, Support Windows, Linux, Mac. Has plugin support
from WebFreak001 his Code-D / Serve-D(beta) plugin.

Kitchen and sink support. Easy to use ( as seen with the
popularity ). Relative low memory footprint for the functionality
( compared to several IDEs that do the same ).

Moved to Visual Studio Code a long time ago and loving it. They
are now adding multiple workspaces to the editor, to make things
more easy for people and plugin architecture. Did i mention
massive plugins?

Git Integration to make it easier to teach people what Git is and
what the difference it makes in programming projects.