Question on Dual-Licensing Some Code for Phobos

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Dec 2 10:28:51 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-01 23:45, Walter Bright wrote:

> I had forgotten, permission indeed was in my email archives from 2011.
>
> But a problem remained - to anyone looking at the file, it looks like we
> copied the code and changed the license without permission. So I added a
> comment clarifying that we did have permission.

In addition to that, the first commit for that module was a copy paste
of the PHP code, which is Boost licensed [1]. I was a suggestion by you
and turned out to be really useful, both for this topic and for catching
issues in porting the PHP code to D.

> ---
>
> I once received a furious email from a person who said I stole his
> software and was distributing it without permission. I dug back through
> my archives, and forwarded him his own email granting me permission.
> Dodged a bullet on that one.
>
> I once solicited and received permission from K+R to quote sections of
> their classic C book (both were extremely nice). It was during a stretch
> of about 3 months where I wasn't making backups, and a disk crash wiped
> it out. I was too embarrassed about that to ask again, and so I never
> used the quotes, and now it's too late.
>
> It pays to keep backups of email. I very rarely need it, but when I do,
> it's a life saver. Though having 20 years of it now means searching it
> is a bit of a challenge :-)

Perhaps time to write a D tool for that job ;)

--
/Jacob Carlborg