What does rt/sections_elf_shared.d do? (Porting dmd to musl)

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Mon Dec 18 11:15:24 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 12:45:58 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> Although this might also be a bug on musl side: it tries to
> call init functions even when RTLD_NOLOAD is passed to dlopen.

Ah, interesting. Might be worth reporting as a bug indeed;
without looking too hard, I didn't see anything to indicate that
trying to get a handle during initialization would be forbidden
(undefined behaviour/...).

> However, going through sections_elf_shared.d, it makes me feel
> it's doing some magic tricks with dl functions, but I don't
> know what for?

The module is responsible for everything related to
executable itself) that contain D code, for those loaded at
runtime (dl{open, close}() etc.) as well as those linked into a
program or dragged in as a dependency of another shared library.

This involves registering global data and TLS segments with the
garbage collector, as you point out, but also running global and
per-thread constructors and destructors (e.g. shared static
this), running GC finalizers defined in shared libraries that are
about to be unloaded, etc.

All these things also need to work across multiple threads that
might be loading and unloading the same libraries concurrently,
and for libraries loaded indirectly as dependencies of another
shared library. These two considerations are where a lot of the
complexity comes from (since there are per-thread constructors,
libraries can be initialized on some threads but not on others,
and if a thread spawns another one, the libraries from the parent
thread should also be available in the child thread, even if the
parent thread later dies, etc.).

> If that's the case, there must be simpler ways to do that.

Patches are welcome – a significant amount of work (mostly by
Martin Nowak, some by me on the LDC side of things) has gone into
this, and we have been unable to come up with a simpler solution
so far. Note that even if a less complex implementation was
indeed possible, I wouldn't expect to make such a change without
spending several days on testing and fixing the fallout due to
e.g. linker bugs. All this needs to work in a variety of
scenarios ({C, D} programs using {C, D} shared libraries at
{link, run}-time; static linking with --gc-sections, etc.).

That being said, from what I understand, D shared libraries might
not be very interesting for many users of musl libc. In that
case, you might it worthwhile to simply switch back to the old
module registration code for your target. The latter doesn't
support libraries, but is less complex. For LDC, the most general
option would be

https://github.com/ldc-developers/druntime/blob/5afd536d25ed49286d441396f75791e54a95c593/src/rt/sections_ldc.d

which requires no runtime/linker support apart from global
(static) constructors and a few widely-used magic symbols. There
are also implementations that use bracketing sections for various
other platforms. (You'll need to change the corresponding support
code in the compiler to match; for LDC switching to the old
mechanism would be a line or two, not sure about DMD.)

Also, it would be awesome if someone could write proper
documentation for this core part of druntime. I've been meaning
to draft an article about it for some quite time, but by now it
has been on my to-do list for so long that the chances I'll ever
get around to it are rather slim.

  – David