code.dlang.org name collision

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Thu Dec 21 21:08:20 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 at 20:55:40 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 12/21/17 3:42 PM, WebFreak001 wrote:
>
>> I don't think it should be removed, semver states versions
>> must be immutable and never changed. Also there are guaranteed
>> packages or programs depending on this which need it and
>> future people wouldn't be able to build them if it was
>> removed. Once registered they should stay registered forever
>> imo, should just take a different name then
>
> Obviously we can't remove or change the names of currently
> registered projects. That isn't an option.
>
> But the result is that code.dlang.org will be full of projects
> like "betterxml" or "xml2" or "xml2018", because each developer
> abandons some work, and now it looks like a complete mess.
>
> Imagine if github was this way, you couldn't name your project
> after any other persons project name! I don't see why we
> shouldn't be able to disambiguate between people's projects
> somehow, even specifying a dependency.
>
> -Steve

well we have colons for subpackages, so we couldn't use those but
maybe add / which adds an extra level of complexity and would
require at least a dmd + ldc release including that dub version
before pushing it to the website. Other than that I actually like
that idea:

dependency "webfreak/fswatch" version="*"
dependency "webfreak/d2dgame" version="*"
dependency "webfreak/eventsystem" version="*"