Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Dec 22 15:23:51 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-12-22 at 13:38 +0000, Dan Partelly via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> […]
>
> I wanted to look at D as a "beter C++", with simple and sane
> metaprograming and metaligusitic features.  It is almost there,
> but unfortunately, not 0 cost abstraction without loosing too
> much. You depend too much of having garbage collection active. It
> works as a "betterC" it seems, but you loose a lot of
> functionality which should be in a "better C" and again, a lot
> from the standard libraries is lost. Template C++ 2017 works well
> for a better C as well, and I retain 0 cost abstraction, decent
> (yet inferior to D meta-programming), closures,
> exceptions, scopes...
[…]

I think we are now in a world where Rust is the zero cost abstraction
language to replace C and C++, except for those who are determined to
stay with C++ and evolve it.

D, like Go, should glory in having a GC and just go with it.

Of course this does not mean the GC as is is good enough. Go is on its
third I believe, and Java on it's fifth.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200