D as a betterC a game changer ?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 10:40:09 UTC 2017

On Monday, 25 December 2017 at 10:06:31 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:

>>> Yes, it really is.
>
> The fact that -betterC exists is a glaring admission that D
> "got it wrong".

I strongly disagree. D got it right, but when there's a heavy
investment in an existing code base, there has to be a strong
incentive to port to a different language. The less work required
to do so, the lower that barrier becomes.

Support for inner classes was motivated by a desire to make
porting Java code easier. Support for COFF was motivated by
requests to better integrate with existing Windows toolchains.
extern(C), extern(C++), -betterC, and a future "Better C++" are
all in that vein.

None of this is evidence of anything D got wrong, but rather that
the range of excuses for not adopting D is shrinking.