D as a betterC a game changer ?

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Dec 25 11:18:58 UTC 2017

On Monday, 25 December 2017 at 10:40:09 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Monday, 25 December 2017 at 10:06:31 UTC, Mike Franklin
> wrote:

>> The fact that -betterC exists is a glaring admission that D
>> "got it wrong".
>
> I strongly disagree. D got it right, but when there's a heavy
> investment in an existing code base, there has to be a strong
> incentive to port to a different language. The less work
> required to do so, the lower that barrier becomes.
>
> Support for inner classes was motivated by a desire to make
> porting Java code easier. Support for COFF was motivated by
> requests to better integrate with existing Windows toolchains.
> extern(C), extern(C++), -betterC, and a future "Better C++" are
> all in that vein.
>
> None of this is evidence of anything D got wrong, but rather
> that the range of excuses for not adopting D is shrinking.

To clarify Mike's point, the dmd backend was taken from the
existing dmc C/C++ compiler, which started in the '80s.  It
wasn't written in D because D didn't exist back then!  The
backend could be turned into normal GC'ed D, but Walter still
supports dmc and I guess it's easier to just port it all to
betterC D.

IOW, it's not a matter of what D got wrong that it needs betterC
but what those old languages got wrong that D must adapt to,
because of all the old C/C++ code out there.