Maybe D is right about GC after all !

codephantom me at noyb.com
Wed Dec 27 01:23:23 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 at 15:53:50 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> Sadly I cannot see either of these happening. There is already
> too much to pack in to an undergraduate CS (*) course even if
> first programming and simple algorithms moves out into
> pre-university education – as has now happened in the UK. Also
> far too few universities have good CS/Psych cooperation.

This is changing though, particulary as a result of advances in
cognitive neuroscience.

i.e. These sciences are bringing about new 'quantifiable'
knowledge, which can then be formally integrated into education.

But the design of graduate studies really needs to be radically
transformed, as they simply try to pack far too much in...leaving
students without any time to reflect on what they're doing, or
why they're doing it.

In addition, we live in 'the age of distractions and
mulitasking', so students really learn very little these days
from doing a degree..(particulary those packed with too much
stuff).

I think this is why (at least in Australia), there is a
significant trend towards studying degrees part-time - the
cognitive load of full-time degrees not longer support the way
people want to (or just happen to) live these days.

Until univerties stop trying to be money making machines, and get
back to teaching people how to learn about useful things, then
not much will change.

Anyway, too see how useful it is, to combine psychology and
programming language/library design, here is a great paper:

https://synesthesiam.com/assets/hansen2012_architectures.pdf

btw. One of the things I like most about D, has to do with
'chunking comprehension' - and in comparison to C or C++, D is
the winner for sure.