Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Laeeth Isharc laeethnospam at nospam.laeeth.com
Wed Dec 27 17:02:30 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 16:53:16 UTC, Dan Partelly
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 16:38:35 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
> wrote:
>
>>> A fair amount of D's design is based on psychology.
>>
>> I'd love to hear more about this sometime.
>
> I never thought of this in the context of programming
> languages, but behavior is strongly modulated genetically,
> epi-genetically, and ***environmentally** (this includes the
> social component).

Japanese cars were dismissed and laughed at for the longest time.
  When the price of energy went bananas in the 1970s US auto
makers were not laughing any more.  (And strategically it would
have been terrible for the Japanese if US manufacturers had taken
them seriously earlier).

So big relative price shocks have something to do with adoption.

https://www.quora.com/Python-programming-language-1/Why-is-Python-so-popular-despite-being-so-slow/answer/Laeeth-Isharc

https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2874238

"For the entire careers of most practicing computer scientists, a
fundamental observation has consistently held true: CPUs are
significantly more performant and more expensive than I/O
devices. The fact that CPUs can process data at extremely high
rates, while simultaneously servicing multiple I/O devices, has
had a sweeping impact on the design of both hardware and software
for systems of all sizes, for pretty much as long as we've been
building them.

***This assumption, however, is in the process of being
completely invalidated.***
"