D as a betterC a game changer ?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 21:40:29 UTC 2017

On 12/27/17 00:10, Pawn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 09:39:22 UTC, codephantom wrote:
>> IMHO..What will help the cause, in terms of keeping D as a 'modern'
>> programming language, is the willingness of its designers and its
>> community to make and embrace 'breaking changes' ... for example,
>> making @safe the default, instead of @system.
> It's been expressed that there are now too many codebases such that
> introducing "breaking changes" would upset many people and companies. D
> is a mature language, not a young one.

This is not true. I was at DConf one year (can't remember which) and I
watched the representative of one of D's larger corporate users do
everything but actually get on his knees and beg Walter to make a
breaking change. IIRC they demonstrated their work around for the
missing change a couple of DConf's later.

The reason that D isn't making breaking changes is that the language has
enough broken stuff as it is. It does not make much sense to fork a
code-base with significant known issues, break more things without
fixing the existing things, and then release as a new version. It would
create even more bugs and perpetuate the 'D is broken' meme. Once D2 has
been thoroughly vetted and is free of known-bugs (sometimes called Zero
Bug Bounce, there may be unknown bugs that are discovered, but all known
bugs are fixed). Additionally, consider that if we have a stable base in
D2 it will be much easier to merge bug-fixes into D3 while D3 is being
worked on.

Let's fix the crap we have now. It'll take a while, it's not sexy, and
it certainly won't make headlines on HN or Reddit. But it will have the
effect of combating the biggest negative that D has to adoption. The
perception of instability.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender