D future ...

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 15 08:37:25 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 16:28:00 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2017-02-15 17:07, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>
>> This trend will continue. Programming for iOS without XCode is
>> unthinkable at this point, and similar situations exists for
>> other
>> platforms.
>
> TextMate on macOS is a native macOS application (Cocoa, C++)
> but does not use Xcode to build, it's using ninja. I guess
> that's expected, to use TextMate to build TextMate.

It certainly is possible to build for macOS/iOS without using
XCode, but still unthinkable for most. Even JetBrain's commercial
offering fall short because they lag behind when Apple release a
new OS version. If the language/framework vendor provides an IDE
it becomes difficult to break into the market, if for no other
reason than being sure that timeliness requirements are met.