Allocators and Containers

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 16 20:13:06 PST 2017

On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 03:05:04 UTC, Jon Degenhardt wrote:
> This is very useful information. Is there a thread or document
> describing this further? I'm not looking for hard decisions.
> Just that it's useful to have bigger picture view of what is on
> the horizon. If there's nothing readily available, perhaps a
> talk at DConf?
>
> --Jon

This is based on conversations I've had with Andrei and Walter on
here and on Github.

There was a bunch of threads here about six months ago by Andrei
talking about the different problems he was running into when
trying to implement @safe and @nogc containers. One of the
conclusions was that ref counting was going to have to be a
nessesary component of the solution. This led to DIP1000 because
of Andrei's conclusion that "Safe reference counting cannot be
implemented as a library"
https://forum.dlang.org/post/n0nnu0$1tth$1@digitalmars.com.

Also, there's the vision document, which lays out some goals but
does not talk about containers:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2017H1