Enough D to Make a Living?

Dukc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 21 13:11:50 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 15:34:02 UTC, Paul wrote:
> I'm in between engineering jobs and exploring the idea of
> getting into programming for a living...specifically D.

Well, D is nowhere near the popularity of the most common
languages so projects which use D are still rare. There are some,
trough. However, if you get to choose your language, chances are
probably good you can. I believe D is stable enough to function
well in all but the biggest projects. And if you make your
project, it won't be big enough to cause serious problems.

But even if you won't use D, it may be even the best choice to
learn, because it handles so many programming styles and shares
syntax with many common languages. That means that few languages
are utterly alien for a D programmer. If you learned Pascal, you
would likely find Haskell totally alien and vice-versa. But a D
programmer will find some familiarity in both.

Take these with a grain of salt, I do not have much personal
experience in things like this.