Why not promoting team work?

nbro via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 13 18:28:34 PST 2017

Hi!

I've been following D for at least one year. I like it and I
think it's a very good programming language, even though I do not
agree with everything it's being done.

One thing that has saddened me is seeing a lot of D's users
trying to implement their own library or maybe trying to
implement multiple libraries at the same time. Most of the
results are very poor because libraries are not

1. completed
2. maintained
3. well-written

I've seen comments like "I'm no more maintaining this library
because I'm not able to proceed since I do not have the skills".
This of course doesn't bring any credibility to the language, to
the community, etc. So we see some people trying bring the
caravan forward, but I many of these people are not qualified
enough clearly, since they do not even have the vision and the
knowledge that starting a project like creating a serious GUI or
modern IDE is not an easy task, and definitely it won't be a
person alone that will create one a decent amount of years that
will compete with the most performant ones.

My idea (which is mostly directed to the big names behind D) is
that team work should somehow be promoted.

How could you do such a thing?

One possibility could be to announce interesting and useful
projects in D and somehow ask for people interesting in working
in such projects. These people should clearly be qualified for
the job, but this isn't an easy task to verified. The projects
could eventually or not be backed up by the announcer of the
project.

These could be a few starting ideas and options.