Why not promoting team work?

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 14 03:51:01 PST 2017

On 15/01/2017 12:38 AM, nbro wrote:
> Nobody has understood yet the goal of this post.
>
> I'm not saying that everybody should work in a team or shouldn't try to
> create what one needs, if there isn't a better alternative.
>
> I'm suggesting that for a few interesting, useful and possibly valuable
> projects, before they start (but eventually also after they have
> started) there could be something some promotion by the leaders of the D
> programming language to attract people to work on them.
>
> Take for instance the case of IDEs. Different people have tried to
> create their own, or create bindings, but they ended up not being that
> good, uncompleted, maintained very sporadically. If there was something
> like I'm suggesting, I'm not saying it would solve all the problems, but
> it could help in creating at least small collaborations between D's
> users to work on the most valuable projects, without first thinking with
> their own head. This is first about sensitization of the masses.
>
> So, as I've described, this is about putting together people working on
> projects where they are all interested, not to obligate someone to help.
> This is all about improving organization in order to improve the quality
> rather than the quantity.
>
> Last, I'm not saying that money (or some sort reward) couldn't be
> involved in a few cases.

We do understand what you're saying.
And I do agree about your proposal here.

The problem is getting everybody together to actually discuss problems
and work on a solution.
For the past year me and Vladimir Panteleev have wanted to discuss image
libraries and what is needed for one in Phobos. The problem is time. The
solution we came up with I think was to do it at DConf, but there is no
guarantee that either of us (well mostly me) will be there. More
importantly other people who do have significant or more experience such
as Manu Evans to be included as well.

Really, to get stuff like this done, we need money. We've tried going
the team routes before but it just doesn't work. Nobody wants to work
this way unless its actually official.

Sadly both A&W are quite busy, so I doubt they'll head something like
this up. But maybe with this post we can get some funding sorted and
have somebody handling this side of things!